The history of coffee is not a very long one. In fact, it's only the last few hundred years that have seen new technologies and methods revolutionize this beverage industry. But even before then, there were some interesting facts about coffee which make it such an intriguing drink to many people today!
Did you know that:
- Coffee was first discovered by goats in Ethiopia nearly 5000 years ago
- The word "coffee" comes from Arabic qahve, meaning "wine of beans," since most early European settlers drank wine with their coffee for breakfast during Lent (hence why we call these drinks cappuccinos)
- Arabs were among those who consumed coffee but they did so hot while Turkish drinkers preferred cold brews
- Coffee is the second most consumed drink in the world, behind tea
- There are over 50 billion cups of coffee drunk each year globally
- Americans consume 400 million cups of coffee per day. That's more than 12 giant urns full every minute!
- The average American consumes three cups of coffee per day
- For every cup of brewed coffee, there are two and a half grams of caffeine
We hope that you’ve learned something about coffee today. It has been around for years and it is going to stay in our lives no matter what changes happen, so try not to stress out too much over the future of your favorite drink! One thing we know for sure; as long as there are humans on this planet, they will need their morning cup o' joe.